[Blindtlk] blind people being loners

Kendra Schaber Baltimore777 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 26 04:17:27 UTC 2013

Hi all, I have been blind my whole life because I was born premiture. I have
Retinopathy of Premiturity(ROP). I am an alumnists of the Oregon School for
the Blind(OSB). When I attended there before I left for highschool before
attending their transitional program, I spent my summers at home in
Gladstone, Oregon where I lived at the time but attended school in Salem,
Oregon which is about an our's drive away. All of my fellow students who
happened to be my friends lived around Oregon and they were too far away for
me to see them during the summers. My systers on the other hand had their
friends living right acrosst the court yard from them. In fact, my lucky
sisters got to play with their friends almost every day that we did not
spend camping at the coast or in the mountains with my late Grandpa. Of
course, I was jellus of my sisters hanging with their friends on a daily
basist. I was either the tag-a-long or the left-behind in less I was lucky
enough to go play in the neighborhood swimming pool which I did at every
oppertunity that I could. I use this story is in this E Mail to show you
guys that I know about lonelyness. I have not been lonely because I was
blind. I was lonely because I was too far from my friends. Because I was
blind and still is blind and was at the time, too young to drive a car, I
couldn't drive to see them. I also did not know the bus routes in Gladstone,
Oregon so even if my friends were on a bus line, I still couldn't get to see
them outside of school. My best friend was not on a bus line so I was lucky
if I ever saw her outside of school. Blindness did not make me lonely.
Transportation and geography made me lonely. As for being alone, I have no
problem with that. Unlike my OSB summers, I now live in the same apartment
building as two of my friends who have also graduated OSB and also live in
Salem, Oregon with me. I know more people who live in Salem as well. I have
other friends who either live on a bus line or within driving distance from
me. I even have a boy friend who lives within walking distance from me. I am
never lonely! I live alone but am not lonely. There is a difference between
living alone and being lonely. Being lonely is depressing because someone
that you want to see is not near you even if you are in a room full of
people. Living alone on the other hand is living by yourself but being happy
about it dispite not being in a room full of people. Many sited people tend
to be lonely because of either not choosing to hang out with their friends
or having no way to get to their friends in the first place. Transportation
is not only a blindness thing. If a sited person living in Salem, Oregon
knew someone living in Baltimore, Maryland, even they would have to go far
out of their way to see their friend but that's only if they can afford the
trip or have the time to make the trip in the first place.
Kendra