[Blindtlk] Use of the Term Visually Impaired

Christine Szostak szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Jun 21 21:32:20 UTC 2013

Your comment reminds me of someone I met several years ago. This person
worked with individuals  that  were in rehab for brain trauma. Anyway, I
know this person meant well, but she was so extremely person first, without
a disability, and she actually got annoyed with me for not even at the time
realizing that it was an issue as I typically used the phrase visually
impaired people, that personally it was almost offensive to me. I think when
someone without a disability  or impairment starts acting so extremely
strongly, it almost, at least to me, starts to feel like the person is just
really uncomfortable with the disability. In other words, it almost feels
like they are over doing the oh you are a person first, because they are
really uncomfortable with the disability.
With warm regards,
Chris