[Blindtlk] Training with screen readers conundrum

Bonnie Ainsworth bainsworth65 at windstream.net
Thu Mar 21 21:54:41 UTC 2013

Peter,

    As a former Government employee, I can assure you that NO agency has a
uniform screen reader or screen enlarging program use.  What happens is that
they have a contract they renew with each vender from year to year, so one
year it may be jaws, another it may be Window Eyes.  This is why working
specifically for a Federal Government agency can be complex, so it's
important to touch base personally with the people at these areas of
employment in your agency of choice.

    For instance, the US Department of Agriculture has what they call the
TARGET Center.  Their personnel is located in Washington DC.  Much of the US
Forest Service's databases reside in the Oracle environment.  What I'm
saying by throwing all this out there is to do your research, target the
agency you'd like to work for; talk to the personnel to see what it is they
use, and fill in applications.

    As far as uniformed applications go, we used to use one official form
when I left years ago.  Things have changed since then, and the resume is
used.  That shows how long it's been since I left Government employment.