[Blindtlk] Blindness and Singleness

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 01:37:05 UTC 2013

My now-husband was told by his former landlord that he "was a nice
person but could do better" than dating me. His mom has been a little
reticent about me, but it's very unclear whether or not that has to do
with blindness. I agree that some people get it, others never get it,
and a few people don't get it at first but are educable. If someone
sighted is willing to go on a date with a blind person they are
already most of the way there. If they're not, then it's really their
loss not ours.
I don't totally agree with the suggestion about dating sighted people
who work in the helping professions. They may be more tolerant and
accepting of people who are different, but they may also be in those
professions because they have a strong desire to take care of others
whom they perceive as needy or less fortunate. You don't want to end
up dating someone who thrives on being a mother figure. That person is
likely to be disappointed when they discover your self-sufficiency,
and you are likely to feel stifled. Of course there are plenty of
great people who are in the helping professions yet still respect
other people's autonomy and dignity, but I don't think all of them
will automatically be that way. Better to look for partners who share
a common interest whether it be work-related, religious or political
convictions, hobbies etc.

Arielle