[Blindtlk] requesting the library of marathon county to have a screen reader on one computer help?

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Wed Oct 15 16:09:03 UTC 2014

Hi Michael. Your library and you need to talk about what to get. Their IT staff will want something that is easy to install and maintain. The library staff (who will be asked to help people use the software) will need something that is easy to understand and explain. You and those who use it will want something that at least does the basic functions. If you want it to do a lot, then you get into more complications.
If they are using Microsoft Office, WindowEyes can be downloaded for free.
NVDA is free, but it is strange to a lot of blind people who have used either JFW or WE for years.
Your other choice is System Access through Sarahtech. It requires a subscription, but is fairly straight forward and close to something most users can use with little assistance.
Finally, if funding is a problem, talk to them about using LSTA (Library Service and Technology Act) money to make the purchase.
Hope this helps.