[Blindtlk] Cane vs. Guide Dog

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Oct 28 03:01:03 UTC 2014

Hi, Brandon,

If you're comfortable with your cane, then it's fine to stick with it.

Like you, I'm very proficient with my cane.

What got me started years ago with guide dogs, is my fiance-now-husband was
a guide dog user, and he was trying to persuade me to get one.  I was about
ready to leave my teaching job to move to Florida to get married.  I had the
misconception that if I were to use a dog, I would lose the independence I
have with a cane.  That was wrong thinking, but I didn't know any better.
Earlier my mobility instructor in high school had recommended for guide dog
use, but I didn't want to be tied down with care, feeding, etc.

The thing that swayed me to go get my first guide dog, though, is that I've
always been a dog lover and always had pet dogs, and Chris said I would
really enjoy one.  So, that summer adding to the mix of leaving my job,
planning for a wedding, and moving across country, I applied to GDB and got
in the summer class.

That was 1979, and I have had four guide dogs and loved every minute of
having one.  My last dog retired in 2012, and I am now using a cane.

The cane is very convenient.  You can fold it up or stow it without another
thought.  Having a dog is a 24/7 job, similar to having kids.  They are
inconvenient sometimes, but so much fun to have and love.  They are work and
care, as kids, but they add such a dimension to one's life, too.

However, if you don't want to go out in inclement weather, or care for them
when they get sick, clean up the occasional mess, stay on top of their diet,
kkeep up with their grooming, then I would not get one.  While I had dogs,
those issues did not bother me, any more than caring for and raising kids.
I loved raising my daughters, but it takes consistent behavior, consistent
patterns and work.  As they used to say with the peace corps, "the toughest
job you'll ever love."  I felt that way about raising kids, and to a lesser
degree, caring for a dog is similar.  The benefits are the fun and
companionship.  The downside is the work and care to maintain them.

My husband and I are in the talk stages of going back to get new dogs, but
haven't made the commitment to do so yet.  Our eldest daughter is getting
married next summer, I need to build up more leav with work, Chris may be
doing some traveling, so aren't sure what time commitment we can make.

Going back to using the cane was not hard at all.  Even when you use a dog,
it is good to keep up your cane skills, because there are times when you
will need that cane.  Your dog may be at the groomer's for the day, or may
be at the vet.  Or, there may be places that might be uncomfortable for your
dog, you might prefer to take a cane.  I always looked at it like sighted
people having their choice of vehicles to use in a 2-car family.

I hope my perceptions help you consider what will work for you.