[Blindtlk] Cane vs. Guide Dog

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 28 16:04:00 UTC 2014

Brandon,

I am a dedicated cane traveler, and always will be.  For me the advantages
are that I can just get up and go, grab my cane and get out the door.
Again, this is just my opinion, but in the end, I think it's a matter of
personal choice, provided, that is, that you have good or excellent basic
mobility skills before you make this decision.  There are plenty of people I
know who do very well with dog guides, and have never regretted learning to
work with their dogs.  So when I say I will never do it, that is a matter of
opinion based on what my particular priorities happen to be.  One thing I
would caution you about, however, is that my sense is that a dog, like a
human, needs exercise, so if you don't get out much, and you are not sure
that this will change soon, you might want to take that into consideration,
since the dog will certainly need to be walked.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.