[Blindtlk] Cane vs. Guide Dog

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Wed Oct 29 01:49:06 UTC 2014

I totally get where you are coming from, although I have truly enjoyed my
four dogs.  They take an amount of time and commitment that a cane obviously
does not, but when I had dogs, thought they were well worth it.  Like you
said, it's all about preferences.

One thing I will say is that the schools prefer you have good mobility
skills to begin with.  They are there to help you become a good dog user,
and not concentrating so much on mobility as they used to.

Anyone thinking of getting a dog guide, I usually advise t o make sure to
have good cane and mobility skills first, as that will give you an
advantage, helping both you and your dog as you are out and about.