[Blindtlk] Being Disrespected: How to Handle

Bob Hachey bhachey at verizon.net
Sun Sep 28 19:31:29 UTC 2014

Hello Brandon,
This is a most vexing issue. IT is sad to say that sometimes the most
difficult folks to deal with are close family members as is the case here.
Sounds to me like you've repeatedly asked your mother not to interfere here
and she keeps on agreeing not to and then just goes right ahead and does it
anyway. She probably does mean well, but IMHO, your home should be your
castle and you shouldn't have to put up with this, especially in instances
when she moves things around disturbing your organization. AS a totally
blind person, I don't think I could stand for this part.
I think it's time for a major conference between you, Christine and your
mom. I'd begin by reminding her that you love her very much and want to
continue to have her make visits to your home in the future. Then, you need
to tell her that you and Christine are extremely upset and put off by how
she continues to interfere when asked not to. You could sort of draw a line
in the sand. That is, tell her that if she does that again, she will not be
welcomed to visit for at least a year or some other specified time period.
Hopefully, this will impress upon her your desires and set boundaries for
the future.
Now, there is a risk here, such a conference could lead to a big fight. But,
if done tactfully, this could work out.
The other option is for you both to just grin and bear it.
IF it were me, I probably wouldn't go to the mat over her doing a bit of
vacuuming or cleaning, but I would go to the mat over the times when she
moves things around on you.
Best wishes in moving forward here.
Bob Hachey