[Blindtlk] browser popups

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat Jul 18 17:57:03 UTC 2015

Hello Justin,
Security Essentials is a useful application but it really isn't enough to
protect your computer against the ever increasingly sophisticated malware.
You really need to be running an antivirus program and a malware program as
well as Security Essentials, which still does have its place, according to
all my research.
You can download several free antivirus programs but none of them are very
accessible. AVG is a good one.
Malware bytes is reportedly the best antimalware program and you can
download a free trial and run it. Malware bytes became inaccessible for a
while after its first upgrade but it is now accessible again. Spybot is
another accessible antispyware/malware program and is reportedly pretty
good. It's shareware.
Bear in mind, however, that no single program will get all the spyware etc.
so they recommend that you run a couple.

Malware has really become a serious issue and even the guys who make a
living from helping folks clean up their computers are now saying that it's
hard to guarantee that even they get everything. Horrible malware like
rootkits can hide and replicate. If you find that you continue to have
issues after running Malware Bytes and AVG, the only way you can guarantee
that you have a clean harddrive will be to back up your content, wipe the
drive and reload everything. If you do have to resort to that, you will need
to totally reformat the drive using a program that wipes it clean, which
will take several hours. Just using the "reformat" command on windows will
not wipe the drive. That means that any malware will not get removed. I
recently researched this issue and ended up having to do a complete wipe and
reload because of malware. Needless to say, I did not want to do this myself
and had my buddy who is sighted and a computer geek take care of it for me.
I now run the paid version of Malware Bytes and find it works well.You may
want to sign up to the gUI talk list. They'll probably have some more
specific info for you.
Sorry to hear you'll be dealing with this. It's a real pain.
I hope it's nothing too serious.
Best,
Heather