[Blindtlk] I need to hear back from any blind person who has worked as a lifeguard.

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu May 5 12:47:38 UTC 2016

Hi Steve. I hate those who just chime in with the @me too) comments, but I am making an exception, and doing one. Thank you for restating differently what I said earlier.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Steve Jacobson via blindtlk
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:42 PM
To: 'S L Johnson'; 'Blind Talk Mailing List'
Cc: Steve Jacobson
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] I need to hear back from anyblind person who has worked as a lifeguard.

I don't understand the negative reactions to this question.  If someone answers her question, it is a given that they have to have an explanation of what they do, and it has to be good enough to satisfy whomever is employing that person.  We tend to immediately think of a lifeguard sitting up in a lifeguard tower.  I readily admit I can't imagine how a totally blind person could do that effectively.  However, I could easily imagine situations where a lifeguard is required for a small group of people, and in that case it could be possible given the right person and the right situation.  I am probably reacting to this a little because much of the public would say the same thing about many things that we do.  It has certainly been said about blind people parenting, for example.  I certainly believe that a blind person wanting to be a lifeguard would have to be able to prove they could do the job, but one really would have to know more about the particular position to make a fair judgement.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson