[Blindtlk] {Spam?} RE: [BlindTalk] Raising a Cane

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Fri Sep 2 13:16:08 UTC 2016

I think what Brian is referring to in the 1/3 responsible for an accident just for being there, is negligence. If a judge determined that the blind person was at fault for being where the accident happened, this is a misinterpretation of law. Such would constitute use of contributory negligence, which is clearly excluded under white cane laws. If, however, one does something which contributes to the accident, that is considered contributory negligence. Such is allowed.
Such occurrences might include crossing against a light, failure to use due diligence in checking for traffic.
Finally, I know that the NFB did initiate the model white cane law.