[Blindtlk] My article

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Sep 5 16:33:13 UTC 2017

Adrijana,

I could have missed some of this topic, but it may not have been explained
that the World Blind Union was formed by combining the International
Federation of the blind with what I believe was called the World Council on
the Welfare of the Blind (WCWB).  From what I remember of that era, many of
us felt that the WCWB represented a custodial view of blindness, but it was
also clear that the conditions for blind people in many parts of the world
was so bad that any effort to help was better than none.  Therefore, the
World Blind Union represents some of the efforts of the International
Federation of the Blind but it includes other influences as well.  I don't
have a list of where the meetings have been held, but I do recall that they
have moved around the world to some degree.  I believe they tend to be held
where there is a member organization to assist in hosting the delegates, but
of course, security is also a concern in recent times.

I know that members of the NFB have been very involved in the World Blind
Union and that we and other organizations have assisted people to attend our
conventions and meetings of the World Blind Union, but I also know that the
scope of international problems is such that there is always more that could
and should be done.  I thought that there was some financial assistance
available through the World Blind Union but you have probably already
investigated that.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson