[blparent] Question about adopting

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Nov 7 18:01:43 UTC 2008

Shannon,

As someone who has gone through the adoption process myself, I think it is fair to say that you are being penalized, but that it is simply a fact of life that needs to be
dealt with as well as you can.  In the long run, we are all trying to change that, though, but in the short run we have to figure out how best to deal with things as they
are.  In your own mind, you probably have to be ready to fight for this child, but how you portray "fighting" is another matter.  In the end, if you want a child soon, you
have to accept that the decision is going to be in the hands of people who likely only know what you teach them about blindness.  To some degree, you have to
"play the game" to the extent your principles allow.  For example, they are going to feel unreasonably more confident in you if you have any vision at all.  You will
have to decide to what extent you can exploit that even though you may know that your vision isn't going to be what makes you a good parent.

You don't have to have answers to all questions, but it is very important that you can show an ability to have an answer even if you are not completely sure the
answer will work.  Any experience you have had with other kids, even as a babysitter of your siblings as you grew up, can be very helpful.  If you and your husband
have no experience with kids to speak of, thiking about how to get some experience would be good.  When a child finally comes your way, you want to be able to
feel fairly confident in yourselves because kids sense a lack of confidence and you'll have other stresses to deal with.  I'm sure many of us would be glad to answer
any questions you have on this list.

You will also need to make some decisions regarding special needs kids.  The fact is that most agencies feel that the blind can take care of the blind, to put it
bluntly.  This really doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is definitely true.  However, blindness is less often the only disability now and is more often a secondary
disability with something else being the primary disability.  If you are willing to adopt a child with special needs, you will be more likely to be successful quickly, but
you really need to learn about common causes of blindness at birth and to have a contact with whom you can consult.  Adopting a child with no disability is certainly
possible but the road will be longer unless you are lucky.  There are many blind parents who have successfully raised sighted children, so there is no reason it
shouldn't be done, I am only pointing out how it works in the real world.  If you consider adopting a blind child from another country, you cannot always be certain
that there are not other undiagnosed disabilities.  Even here in the United States, sometimes other disabilities are assumed to be part of blindness because the
expectations for blind kids tends to be lower.  Special needs kids need homes, too, but it is important that you have a pretty good idea of what you could be taking
on.

Please understand that the above is an attempt to describe how things are and not how they should be.  I am not trying to justify any of what I have described, but it
is important to understand what you are dealing with as you work out approaches.  Good luck to you.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson