[blparent] [Bulk] Re: wow kindergarten has changed!

kate02 at bellsouth.net kate02 at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 29 16:20:03 UTC 2008

Tammy I agree with you.

I think we need to keep the ages of kindergartners in mind.  The average child will be five with some being six, and maybe a four year old or two.  There not capable of some types of learning that may be appropriate a year later.

Also, if you think about behavior in relation to learning how to navigate in the real world with out Mom and Dad, the way it is being designed now isn’t realistic.  For one, uniforms, though making it easy to buy clothing, could give  a small child the message that all people should look and act the same rather then help them to understand that there are ways to dress for different situations.  There’s no sliding scale now, so if your kid is slow or advanced it won’t matter, they’ll get in trouble for either being too slow or too fast they just can’t win.  And your child may push a child away to get them to stop hitting them and there seen pushing wile no one sees the other child hit yours so as far as the school is concerned it didn’t happen.

I know people don’t want their kids picked on and need to keep order in over crowded schools, but there are groaned ups who can’t act right and can be a jerk, so there are children to.  I’ve seen parents who truly try their best and their kids are little monsters.  ADD?, no their just kids who by genetics are jerks.

Now there are schools that do amazing things and it isn’t about your area, its about what the school closest to you has decided to put in their curriculum.  If you don’t like it you may be able to clame hardship and have them sent to a school you like better and you may not.  Our daughter’s school is an A. school.  There are things we like but there are some things coming to light that are causing us concern.  We haven’t decided what to do because we want to see her progress report and see how she’s doing with the work.  She has told us that she is board and we’ve been attempting to get her an IQ test but the school is good at putting things on the back burner.

But I think the main thing to keep in mind is you really need to look at what your child is getting out of the school.  Some kids handle learning stiles fine what ever they are and other’s just don’t.  And if you live in a diverse area of the states, you really need to keep in mind that other cultures find some things that are polite to the majority inappropriate.  Example; there are some Asian and Indian cultures that teach their children it is impolite to look an adult in the eyes.  And there are some cultures where it unacceptable waist food.  So some times teachers need to let these cases know they won’t get in trouble for what they see as inappropriate and teachers are required to do it in a way that doesn’t diminish the child’s culture.  And if you look at the number of students in a class room, you really can’t blame the teachers, their doing what they can with the guidelines they are given by the school board.

But I think kids still should go to school because one day we, their parents, won’t be here to pick them up when they fall or give them money so they need to be able to function in society.

Just my thoughts.

Kate

From: "Tammy, Paul and Colyn" <tcl189 at rogers.com>