[blparent] A thought about audio books and child locators

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:25:01 UTC 2009

Hi Karla,
I see your points on the audio books, though I have to say that I don't
think it's necessarily a bad thing because it can help a lot to teach them
to focus on other things besides the things that are visually stimulating.
I love to put on books for my kids and me to listen together, or the radio
programs that come on the Christian radio stations.  My kids are great
readers, and they love to read along with an audio book or just on their
own, so they haven't suffered any.  As long as there is a healthy balance I
don't see any issue with it.

I always had bells on my kids, or the pipsqueakers when they're really
young.  I like having the auditory clues that tell me where my children are.
If I can't hear them, that alerts me and I call their name to find them.  It
may be that they are just sitting still, but if they had actually wandered
far I would want to know that.  I don't take the bells off until they are at
an age that they know to check in with me before they go anywhere.  I had
taken them off of my daughter when she was 4, but for our trip to Disney
World last year I put them back on.  I wouldn't chance being separated from
her in a busy airport or amusement park.  With 3 kids I can't possibly hold
onto her every second, and she's a day dreamer so it's easy for her to
forget to follow the group.
I think the locator sounds like a great idea in case of an emergency, like
it was said, if the child wanders off in a grocery store or something, but I
don't think I would make much use of it on a regular basis.  Not sure though
as I haven't tried it.
Leanne