[blparent] Seeking parents who are blind and who adopted

Sherry DeFrancesco sdefrancesco at optonline.net
Sun Aug 30 16:57:23 UTC 2009

Hello Steve,

Thank you for sharing and giving good advice. I believe I spoke to your wife
about a year ago. I found the article in the Braille Monitor entitled
"Loving Elizabeth" and reached out...you too gave us hope :)

We have been on this journey for awhile, and have had to explain, write and
now even create a video to show our competence and abilities to parent--ugg!
We went through a lot of stress when trying to go the New York foster care
route, and I reached out to Carl Jacobsen here in New York. He was
supportive and gave us some directions to try...it gets so tiring after
awhile to have to prove ourselves, but, like you said,  it is what it is and
we will keep up our persistence.

We actually had to sit in a meeting with all of the Directors from the New
York agency, and answer so many questions and explore different sinarios
with them. Some of these social workers were more willing than others, and
actually, the medical doctor and psychiatrist were more understanding and
had more confidence in our abilities. We found this refreshing, but strange.
It seems that if someone is willing to learn and do not already have their
own set preconceptions of blindness, then we have a better shot at educating
them, otherwise, forget it, they will never get it. WE had a wonderful, very
understanding home study social worker, and she was our biggest advocate
with the agency. However, she was promoted and is not even in the same
department anymore. They are not willing to look outside of New York City
anyway, so we have moved on...

Thank you for your advice on being aware of the different countries and the
causes of vision loss. We have seen a lot of different children available
with some partial medical reports and video. We tend to be shown many
children that have cataracts and/or prematurity. All of the children we have
seen are between the ages of 1.5 to 6 years old. The older children have a
lot of body and head rocking, and inability to walk due to lack of
interventions, and of course institutionalization...it is so very sad.
The good thing is that by the time we find a country willing to accept us,
and child that we will accept, we will be well educated.

it is so good to communicate with folks who truly understand, and thank you.
We will never give up or allow others to define who we are...educating
people is part of our everyday living, so the judgements and misconceptions
is not surprising.

Again, thank you.

Best wishes, Sherry