[blparent] Holding a bottle independently?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sun Feb 8 05:51:38 UTC 2009

Hi, Tammy.  I enjoy the close time of giving Sarah's bottle to her, so I
don't mind it at all.  I've just had a few people, including her dad,
comment that it seems odd she hasn't tried to hold the bottle herself.

As to nursing, I've struggled to maintain my milk supply for a year now, and
managed to give Sarah half my own milk and half formula for the last six
months.  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that if possible,
moms nurse for the first year and then as long as it is mutually satisfying
after that.  I know it's optimal to go even longer than a year, but to be
completely honest, I'm tired of the battle to keep the milk flowing.  It has
taken a lot of time and effort, not to mention herbal teas, supplements,
medications, you name it.  I think that finishing out the first year is a
good milestone, and it's time to move on and take up other challenges.

Jo Elizabeth

"Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds
water."--Swedish proverb