[blparent] Ultrasound and Heartbeat

Nikki Fugett Dobens nfugett at cinci.rr.com
Sat Feb 14 20:41:50 UTC 2009

Jennifer,
 I heard my daughter's heartbeat at 10 weeks.  That's about when they can
pick it up on the doppler.  I have heard it depends on your size, sometimes,
they pick it up at 12 weeks.  When you get an ultrasound, you can hear the
heart when it starts beating.  Usually, it starts beating at 6 or 7 weeks.
It is very fast at the beginning, but eventually, it slows down.
It does depend on the doctor how long you go past your due date.  For
example, if you have gestational diabetes, they won't let you go long. I
haveen't heard of doctors  letting someone go more than two weeks over, and
I think that would be rare.
You usually get your first ultrasound at 12 weeks, unless another issue
warrants it.  Good luck.  You will have so many wonderful experiences.
    Nikki