[blparent] question about brest feeding

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:44:41 UTC 2009

Hi Vanessa,
First, welcome to the group!  I am Leanne, and I have 3 children ages 9, 6
and 22 months.
Some hospitals will have lactation consultants available when you deliver
your baby.  You can often take breastfeeding classes prior to the baby's
birth through your hospital, if that is where you will be delivering.  You
can ask your OB if those things are available to you.
The main thing to remember with breastfeeding is to try to relax as much as
possible.  You and baby will have to learn together, and if you are tense
your baby will pick up on that.  I tried to breastfeed my first, but I
didn't have much support with it and I gave up.  With my second, I had lots
of support from the nurses and my husband, and through pure determination,
we were able to make it work.  It isn't a very easy thing to do at first,
but if you stick with it it gets easier as time goes on.  That being said,
not everybody can, or wants to breastfeed, and that's ok too.  I just
preferred it because of the convenience of not having to make bottles all
the time, and the bonding experience is quite different.  Not saying you
don't bond with a formula fed baby, it's just different.  So I suggest you
do some research and try to have a good idea of what you would prefer to do
before your baby is born.
I hope that helps.
Leanne