[blparent] need to think something out

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 22:27:46 UTC 2010

Hi Scott.  As a first time mom, I can relate to the feelings your are
experiencing and please be assured they are normal.  That is, provided they
don't last all day and impair your ability to function and take care of the
baby.  One thing to remember is if you're miserable, the baby will pick up
on it.  If you're happy, the baby wil pick up on that too.  If you're
frustrated, the baby will also pick up on that.  I've had a lot of ups and
downs about motherhood myself.  One minute, I think it's the best thing ever
and another minute, it's like, what in the world were we thinking?  Here are
some things I do that help.  If I'm feeling down, I try to do something to
distract myself like turn on a funny movie/TV show, listen to a favorite CD,
or read part of a book.  Deep breathing also helps too, especially in a
frustrating moment like when the baby's squirming around during a diaper
change.  Deep breathing also helps when the baby just won't stop crying and
you've tried everything.  Trying to think in the present also helps too.
Something I say to myself is, yesterday's gone, the future hasn't happened
yet.  Yes, by all means, take some time for yourself and for you and Cindy.
A few minutes a day is better than nothing.  Try to sleep when the baby's
sleeping which isn't always easy but it helps.  One thing that helps me is
this; if I ever feel too overwhelmed when the baby's crying or  just can't
handle it, I put him in his crib and simply walk away for a few minutes to
cool off.  When I come back, I feel more calm, more centered, like I can
handle the task at hand again.  If you don't feel comfortable walking away,
call a friend, neighbor, or relative to come and watch the baby while you
have a little break.  If you find your feelings of resentment don't go away
after a time, You might want to consider seeking professional help.
Sometimes having a third party present while sorting out issues can make all
the difference in the world.  Hang in there.
Leslie