[blparent] pre schools

Amy Murillo-Hicks amym2 at cox.net
Wed Jun 2 03:30:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

A couple of things that worked for us are.

1. Find a little time to  volunteer in the class room at least once a month
if possible.  Finding the time can be difficult, but very helpful to see how
your child is progressing.
2.  I always met with my child's teacher within the first two weeks to go
over what he would be working on, how I could reinforce the material, and to
establish a method for us to regularly communicate.  I often e-mailed his
teachers once per week.  This helps because teachers are so busy and don't
often remember to initiate the communication in an alternative way.  They
often just send notes home if at all.
3.  I always went into his class room each year to read a twin vision book,
and talk about my guide dog. Making it an educational experience helps the
teacher as well. More often than not, schools are looking to provide some
education about social issues like blindness or other disabilities, and you
would be helping them out by bringing it right to them.
4. If there is a parent's group who helps with fund raisers, get involved.
If you are helping bring money into the school, it is amazing how much more
open minded they get.
5.  Provide snack, or what ever parents do in the class room as much as you
can.
6.  It sounds like you already did the best that you could in researching
the school.  Being proactive this early will set you up for life.  You will
learn from all the other parents who also researched what elementary schools
are the best, and you are on your way to following your child on a well
planned journey through school. Now you just have to play your hand through
the wild cards your kid throws down. Good luck.  You'll be great!