[blparent] pre schools

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Wed Jun 2 14:45:33 UTC 2010

These are excellent suggestions especially the one on fund-raising.
I think though that Nicky's kid is very little still a young toddler and
that the school he/she is in is more of a daycare.
I base this because we have the same school in our neck of the woods.
My kid is in daycare and the teachers don't use email. The director does
but I mostly talk with her via phone or in person when I pick up my
daughter or drop her off. I also talk with the teacher.
You will need to tell the teachers and director what type of info you
need. You will be given a report of daily activities and you will want
to make sure the relivant data is communicated to you. Ask and they'll
tell you.
If this is a daycare v. a preschool, they are strict about volunteering.
I'm not sure if this is due to liscensing requirements or because
parents that use daycares work so simply are not able to volunteer the
way a stay-at-home parent would.
That being said, do take part in any parent type events, our daycare has
a graduation soon, a graduation that I call the "graduation to nowhere".
Still, we are going and will participate just as other parents do
Also, get to know other parents. This is surprisingly easy because your
kid will be saying "I want to go pla with Johnny" and you can then get
in touch with Johnny's mom by asking the director to do a contact
exchange. You'll also be getting invites to birthday parties.
Be careful with snacks, we are required to provide a snack for our
daughter. We did bring in a cake for her birthday and if you are allowed
to do something like that (some daycares do not allow this due to
allergic kids) make sure the daycare can look at the list of
ingredients.  This means that you can't make cookies or cake and bring
it in.
Finally, know that while you've been told the school you've selected is
good, that is a judgement call. It may be good, but may not be right for
your family. So keep that in mind. Visit the school. Does it smell good?
Do the kids seem happy? Do the older kids talk with you or seem at all
interested that "the blind mommy" or "the blind daddy" is there? How do
the teachers respond to a crying kid? Does your child seem happy? Does
he/she talk about "school"?
Know that you are the parent and you pay their bills so if this doesn't
work, you can either make it work or find a school that will do what you
need done. Really though, you just need to be present and ask specific
questions.