[blparent] dealing with the public

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Mon May 24 22:21:00 UTC 2010

Hi Leslie.  I truly understand how hard it is to feel conspicuous in a place
like church, when your baby is crying or fussing, and a bunch of
well-meaning ladies gather around to help.  But as hard as it is, remember
that it isn't all about your blindness, and it isn't usually even that the
well-meaning ladies don't think you're doing your job, or don't think you're
a good mom.  A big part of it is, people generally love babies and get all
gooey around them, and don't think about the messages they may be putting
across to the mothers.  I used to feel that I was getting judged as a parent
when people at church tried to take over, and then some sighted moms told me
that it had happened to them, too!  Everybody likes to think she has the
answer when a baby is crying, and even if the baby stops for one given
person or with one given activity like rocking or singing, it could just be
that the baby happened to be done crying at that moment.  So I would say
first, take it easy on yourself, and try to resolve any misgivings you might
have that make you feel you are getting judged by others.  We're often
harder on ourselves than anybody else would ever be on us.

The other thing that helped me a lot was to get a couple of women at my
church in my corner.  If you have friends there, or acquaintances who have
confidence in your abilities, talk to them about how you feel.  Ask them to
watch out for the times when others crowd around you and try to take over.
I found that a few remarks like "She looks like she's doing fine to me" or
"Mom's got it all under control" went further in getting people to back off
when they came from others than when I said them myself.  It was like the
ones who were taking over suddenly went along with the consensus of the
group that I was doing okay by myself.

The second tip I've gleaned from hard experience is, stick to what you say,
even if you sound like a broken record.  Sarah and I were at a church
potluck yesterday, and when it was time to eat, Sarah decided she wasn't
ready and started to have a temper tantrum.  One of the women at church went
right over to her and tried coaxing her, then ordering her, to sit down at
the table.  Neither approach had the slightest effect on Sarah.  I just kept
repeating that everybody should sit down and leave Sarah alone, ignoring the
fit, and it would stop in under a minute.  Finally, that's exactly what
everyone did, and as I predicted, in less than a minute, Sarah came over to
me of her own free will and asked to sit on my lap and have some fruit.
Stick to your guns.

If there is a particular person who persists in trying to take over, as
there was with Sarah and me, you might have to confront her privately.  I
have a really good friend, who is Sarah's adopted Nanna, and I wouldn't
trade her for anything in the world.  But especially in the beginning, she
was always jumping in as soon as Sarah whimpered, or taking her out of my
arms and disappearing.  I had to sit down with her at a time when I wasn't
feeling hurt or offended.  I calmly told her the way she was acting made me
feel that she thought I wasn't a good mom, or wasn't doing my job well
enough.  She was honestly horrified.  She said she never intended to make me
feel that way, and that she thought I was doing a great job.  She told me
she was trying to step in and give me a break because she knew I had Sarah
by myself most of the time all week, and she loved the baby and wanted some
cuddle time as well as giving me a chance to relax.  She told me if I ever
felt that she was taking over, I should just stop her and be blunt and
truthful, because she didn't take hints well.  Once we were both on the same
page, she got her Nanna time, I got a break, and I didn't feel judged.  I've
had to call her on her actions a few times--and she was right, hints didn't
work so I had to be forthright with her--but as soon as she realizes she's
pushing too far, she's been plenty willing to back off.

Sorry this was so long.  I don't know your exact situation, but I hope some
of what I've learned over the last couple of years will help you.  Just
remember, you're a good mom.  All babies cry, and all babies cry in public
places when we would rather they didn't.  That's no reflection on you, and
neither are the reactions of others, whether they're well-meaning or
judgmental.  Hang in there.