[blparent] discipline

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Tue Nov 16 20:00:16 UTC 2010

Personally, I have a big issue with someone spanking a child or even
scolding one too much in public.  I don't want to do anything to my child
that I wouldn't want done to me, and I know for sure I wouldn't want to be
embarrassed in public.  As best I can, I try to get to at least a
semi-private place.  Also, I hear the way a lot of people talk to their
kids, and I think, no wonder the kids don't respect them.  I think that most
times, a person can talk to a child in a calm, reasonable, and affirming
tone, and the message will get across.  Once in a while, a more commanding
tone is necessary, to get through, but if you use it too often, your child
will just tune it out.  Even when I am speaking firmly, like when I was
taking away a light bulb from Sarah last night because her dad had left the
burned-out bulb where she could get it, I said, "You need to give that to
me, please, right now.  It's not safe for you to have."  When I took it away
from her, I said, "Thank you.  Now, shall we find something else to look
at?"  She wasn't happy about giving up the lightbulb, which she called a
bottle, but not feeling happy about something is different from feeling
disrespected.  I don't know how much Sarah picks up on at two years old, but
I figure it's best to get in the habit now of treating her the way I expect
her to treat others.