[blparent] Feeding Issue

Nikki Fugett-Dobens nfugett at cinci.rr.com
Mon Oct 18 23:35:14 UTC 2010

    I agree with Melissa's suggestion with a different spoon.  We had this
problem at the beginning with Mackenzie, and we found these spoons with a
rubber end to them.  She seemed to stop jerking her head so much.  She did
chew on the spoon some, but feedings got a lot easier.  I remember I would
sit my chair right in front of her high chair, find her mouth first, and
then guide the spoon to her mouth.  Many times, after feedings, we were both
a mess, but we figured it out.  It can be really stressful at first, but it
is an adjustment for both of you.  I felt the same way when I first started
nursing her, but we eventually figured that one out too!
Also, if you are worried about him not eating enough when he jerks his head,
there are lots of healthy snacks as well.  One was yogurt melts from gerber.
Mackenzie loved them, and they just melt in their mouths! They are really
good for them!
Good luck, and don't get too stressed! It will all click eventually! I can't
say I'm a pro at feeding someone baby food, but we all figure out what works
best for our situation!
Nikki