[blparent] Potty time again...

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Sep 21 17:36:03 UTC 2011

I have a couple of thoughts on this, mostly because Sarah finally overcame
this hurdle in the last month or so, to the point that I gave away her
diapers and pull-ups both.  I wrote the list a while back wondering what I
was doing wrong, and got lots of encouragement.  So here goes a novel in
return.

My first question is, do you think Savannah is really ready, or is it you
who is ready and pushing the issue?  Sarah was three and a half before the
potty thing clicked.  That's well beyond the age that most kids are, and I
was beginning to take a lot of flack from other moms.  But before that, she
wasn't interested, and wasn't ready, and it wasn't going to happen.  Don't
be in a rush to get Savannah out of diapers because you feel social pressure
from other moms or outsiders who don't know your daughter or your situation.
Only the two of you can decide when the time is right.  It's easy to fall
into the trap of wanting our kid to do something because the kid across the
street did it weeks ago, and we start to question our parenting abilities
because our little darling isn't keeping up.

My second thing is, the reward system you are using might be too complex for
Savannah to understand.  Most toddlers don't really comprehend delayed
gratification, as in you get a point now, and when you earn enough points,
you'll get a reward.  I used M&M's, and Sarah got a couple each and every
time she went potty, so that the reward was instant, not something she had
to wait for and would probably forget about.  A few people criticized me for
using food, especially sweets, and said I was settling for bribery, but
guess what?  It worked.  I was also telling her the whole time that when she
learned to go potty, she could be in preschool with the big kids, but I
think it was the instant gratification of M&M's that pushed her over the
hump.

I had a couple of those potty chairs that sit on the floor, but Sarah made
big progress when I stopped using them in trade for seats that fit on the
"big potties" in each bathroom.  Sarah got to pick out the potty seats at
the store, and decide which one to use in each bathroom.  One seat had
pictures of Dora and Boots on it, and the other featured Elmo and Big Bird
from Sesame Street.  Using a special seat on the grown-ups toilet and
flushing afterward was a huge excitement for Sarah.

Savannah won't tell you she has to go potty till she actually connects the
physical feeling in her body to the urine or feces that comes out.  I
remember the night the light bulb went off for us.  Sarah had been urinating
in the potty regularly, but having no success with the other.  She was
sitting on the potty after her bath, and her daddy asked her if she was
going to "make yuckies" (her words.)  He told me she looked at him like he
was the dumbest man alive, and she said, "No, Daddy, I'm not making yuckies.
I'm going potty right now."  She knew urinating in the toilet meant that she
was going potty, but she had no idea that defecating was part of the deal,
too.  After that night, it clicked.  We've had only two bowel accidents
since then, and one of them wasn't her fault at all because we were out
somewhere and it took me too long to figure out where the bathroom was.  She
had one wetting accident at night, and that was it.

So, the short version of the novel is, if she isn't ready, she just isn't
ready.  All you'll do is put yourselves in a battle that nobody wins, and
the whole experience will be negative for both of you, especially if you use
scolding or punishments for something she truly can't control.  If you
really think she's biologically ready, try using instant rewards like M&M's
or some other easy-to-dispense and easy-to-eat treat that Savannah doesn't
get often.  Try taking Savannah to the toilet at regular times, like right
when she gets up, a half an hour before and after each meal, right before
naptime and bedtime.  Read books with her on the potty, or listen to a
sing-along CD, anything that will make sitting there into something fun.
And when she's actually in the act of going, clap and cheer and praise her
to the skies, so she understands that the physical feeling of going
coincides with what you want, and it isn't just what ends up in the toilet
that you're looking for.

I'm no expert, but that's what all I learned from going through the process
with Sarah.  She'd been watching a potty video for ages, and that didn't do
much, but once she mastered the toilet, she went around telling
everybody--including strangers and the pastor at church, in front of the
congregation, complete with hiking up her dress to show off her Dora
panties--that she was a big girl and could make yuckies in the potty all by
herself.