[blparent] Sparking an interest in reading

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 04:11:54 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth,

My mom took us kids to the library at least once a week even during the
school year. As late as my teens, we still did this and I always loved
it. I miss walking into a library and being able to pick up any book and
read it. This really instilled a sense of literature in me. Before I
lost my vision, I still visited local libraries in my twenties on my own
just to peruse the stacks and find new material I hadn't read yet. Also,
both my parents also read a lot on their own, and to this day, my mom's
house is cluttered with books. They led by example when it came to
reading, which, for me at least, rubbed off. I pursued a degree in
creative writing, which was not only heavy on the writing but reading
various types of literature. Most my textbooks were literature books,
smile.

However, some people love to read and others don't. My brother and I
can't get enough reading material, and I'm constantly searching
accessible places for books now. One of my sisters enjoys a book every
now and then, but is not the voracious reader my brother and I are, and
my youngest sister has absolutely no time for reading. My husband's
family on the other hand is full of readers. His parents and all three
siblings love to read. So you can do everything "right" and kids still
won't always find reading fun.

It also depends on the age of a child. Much like potty training, it
seems like it will happen when it happens. I say keep doing what you are
doing and eventually she'll come around. I assume she's not school-age
yet since she doesn't know how to read yet, so I wouldn't worry too
much. My mom was actually worried about me because I couldn't yet read
by kindergarten while many of my classmates could. By second grade,
however, I tested at a high school reading level. So we all come into
our own at our own pace, grin.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: