[blparent] Clarification was Re: Involvement of Child Services(was introduction, expecting)

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Tue Aug 14 11:46:41 UTC 2012

Bob and all, I am totally blind, my ex has partial vision, and we had two
sons in Chicago born 1983 and 1986. We never had questions from any type of
child welfare agency. Between 1978 and 2002 I worked as a rehab counselor
for the blind and visually impaired in Chicago for the state of Illinois so
occasionally-very occasionally-got calls from medical providers about blind
moms. As many of you know, I teach a parenting series of courses for Hadley
where I started in 2002 so I mention this to students when appropriate. I
found that the times I got calls were when the medical providers were
concerned about the welfare of the expected baby or newborn. If the mom was
alone and if she had "an attitude" of hostility or negativity, that seemed
to generate a question. To those callers I would explain my own situation
which seemed to relieve the nurse or whomever called to realize that indeed
blind moms could care for babies, and I would have no idea if there had been
any follow-up with the new or expectant mom. I tell my students how we
approach medical providers is very important. They don't see a lot of us,
and their concern is for that baby. The general public may not know how we
get dressed in the morning much less how we'd care for a newborn. All they
may be able to think about is how they themselves would react if suddenbly
lost vision. I tell my students to answer the questions, be patient and
remember that the focus will very quickly turn from mom to baby, and that
baby is a lot more vulnerable than many of us. So, Bob, that is the long
answer to no, I personally have had no contact with any child welfare
agency.
Sharon Howerton, Instructor
The Hadley School for the blind
(though this is my home email)