[blparent] a new member

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 02:59:31 UTC 2012

Welcome to the new members. My partner Chuck and I are both totally
blind, and our son was five months old on Wednesday.

Tina, it wasn't blindness-specific, but Chuck and I found the
childbirth and baby care classes offered at the hospital where our son
was delivered to be very helpful. The classes were free. Another
advantage of taking the classes at our local hospital was that we got
to know a lot of the staff. I did not want to have to explain "the
blindness thing" to people at the hospital in the middle of having a
baby!

Carol, I'm so sorry that you are having this experience. My
sister-in-law was like this to some degree with me and her babies, but
it was different because I was only ten when my first nephew was born.
Still, my younger siblings were able to do things with the babies that
I couldn't.

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate, but if it would help for her to
talk to a totally blind mother of an infant, I would be glad to speak
with her. I know it should be enough for her to know that you raised
your son successfully.

Best,

Angie (Jacob's mom)