[blparent] Ryan Knighton's Book

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Jan 2 03:25:43 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth,

I'm not certain how you feel about all this from your note, but one thing I'd like to be clear about is that I do not know
the whole of his work to know how representative what I heard was of his work in general.  Some of the descriptions I
read make me think that some of his characteristics are characteristics I would like.  However, I must say that I am
skeptical of the reviews in your note because it has been my experience that the public tends to feel that sharing our
exaggerated failings is heart-warming and represents honesty.  Those of us who try to represent what we do has being
everyday life are often seen as thinking that we have to be supermen or something.  One of the paragraphs you
included reads as follows:  "Knighton writes of his failures at diaper-changing and baby-minding. After a heavy
snowfall, Knighton loses his daughter while they are playing outside and there is a sense of panic that infects the
reader until they are reunited. More tales of near-disaster, or even near-death, are included. The toughest time for
Knighton is trying to care for Tess while she is a baby. It gets easier for him when she is a toddler since she, even at
the age of two, can walk and see and lead her father around."  This paragraph gets at what came across to me in the
interview, and I find it depressing and very sad.  There are those who believe we want kids to have little ones to lead
us about and to read for us free of charge when they get older.  We had to overcome thinking like this with our
adoption agency, and I just don't see some of his contributions as helpful at all but rather as making money at our
expense.  We all have had funny experiences and accidents that we would probably rather not share with others, but
his portrayals, as Angie said, make one feel he is lucky to survive.  This just blew me away yesterday.

By the way, it turned out that the segment that I heard came from a CBC program originally, so it must have had some
air time in Canada as well.  Suggesting that another segment be run on blind parenting is a good idea.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson