[blparent] Holding a Pencil Right

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Thu Jul 12 23:02:30 UTC 2012

Yeah, it does matter, especially to sighted folks. Most kids figure it
out on instinct, or maybe they mimic their parents and others they see
writing with a pen or pencil. The pencil grip, as I was told it's
called, allows a person to be able to write more legibly or easily.
Although don't quote me on that reason. That's what I've been told, but
I've been blind forever, so what do I know. I do know, however, what
the pencil grip is. Or the pincher grip, as you called it.
If I am correct, the pencil is held primarily between your first two
fingers, the middle and the pointer. The pointer finger is slightly
above and in front of the middle finger, and the thumb supports the
pencil from behind. the pencil is held just above the tip, so very
close to the paper. This allows for more control of your writing, so
it's not all over the place as it would be if you held your pencil at a
higher point, closer to the eraser for instance. You hold a eutencil
the same way. It'll be important for sarah to learn it, especially
because teachers in grade school might give her grief about it if she
doesnt. So maybe have someone sighted work on it with her if they are
willing, or have them show you so you can show her.

HTH

Bernadetta P