[blparent] breastfeeding and prematurity

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:34:07 UTC 2012

Hi All,
You might remember that I was having trouble Nursing when I brought Azaan home.
Well, I did not do the reglan because there were just too many people
who experienced negative side effects with it. Actually, I got the
perscription, I just never used it. I said that I "would" as a very
last resort.    I did the tea and the aniseeds and that helped along
with pumping for long stretches and frequent bouts. I have managed to
save a little and as Azaan eats more, I am afraid that my stores will
be depleted. I also get really worried when I go more than six hours
without pumping. But, I am down to pumping four times a day and
sustaining Azaan.... barely, but I have not had to get the frozen out
yet.
Azaan is getting breastmilk exclusively, now. But, he won't take the
breast at all. After three months of trying, I just got tired of
offering the breast when he was not really wanting to eat from the
breast.  Eventually, after he would cry for fifteen minutes while
trying to get him to take the breast, I realized that he was not
enjoying this experience. when I would start to hole him in a certain
position, he would start to get antsy. There was lots of emotions
surrounding  this situation: Why didn't he want to nurse from me, what
am I doing wrong (they say every baby's instinct is to nurse), etc. I
went round and round about the whole thing. In the end, I did what was
best for my baby and not what I wanted. Now, he takes my breastmilk
from a bottle as we cuddle. Oh, I also learned to prolong the bottle
feeding by frequent small 10second breaks which also allows him to
catch his breath. It is true that bottle fed babies tend to eat more
quickly, so I try to slow him down a bit.  sure, it is the bottle he
wants and not my breast, but eventually, I had to ask myself if the
grief was worth it. He was frustrated and not happy and I was
depressed that he didn't want to nurse.
and, "NO" the nursing system actually didn't help me any unless I had
a couple more hands to always help Azaan latch correctly.
Now we spend the fifteen minutes that he use to cry cuddling. It is
actually much more work for me because I still have to spend lots of
time: (15 to 20mins on each breast) pumping. [one of my flanges
doesn't work, so I have to do 1  breast at a time].  He has to lay
down beside me (some part of his body touching me) and wait. sometimes
he cries and sometimes he plays. But, we all get use to the routine.
   Honestly, I think that it is about how much attention you actually
give your baby. I know mothers who talk on the phone and/or do the
computer while they are nursing and in that way, don't give their
child the optimum attention, either. so, just because a mother nurses,
doesn't mean that she is plugged in to her child: she should be, but,

Anyway, I was premature. I did not have trouble with my milk supply or
my baby latching until Azaan. I had nursed my third and fourth child:
Boy born in April of  1991 and Little boy (actually a bit preemie
himself)  in November of 1992, (just to give you a timeframe) and all
went quite well. I could even hand express about six or eight ounces
into a bottle.
So, I don't know if the theory that preemies have difficulties nursing
their babies actually holds any weight.
Hmmm.