[blparent] breastfeeding and prematurity

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Fri Jun 1 17:12:39 UTC 2012

Jan,
I know you say you've given up on trying to get your boy to nurse
directly from the breast, but I thought I'd share something that seems
to work for me somewhat. My son has had a lot of trouble latching on
too; Well, he latches but then he gets confused as to what he's
supposed to do afterwords. But I've been using a nipple shield and that
seems to be just the thing to allow him to nurse properly. Also, with
the nipple shield I have absolutely no problem positioning him, so if
you need help with latching him directly, maybe the nipple shield would
at least allow you to be able to do it yourself.  Granted, it's plastic
and so there is a slight barier between the baby and the mom, but at
least it's something. I can get him to nurse like that for fifteen
minutes or so before he gets frustrated. Then it's time for the bottle.
 That being said, I do the frequent pumping thing too, as well as the
tea, but I'm still having to supplement with some formula, something
I'm not very happy about. If I may ask, what are aniseeds? I'm trying
to increase my milk supply and make it last for as long as I can
because my boy is still only three months old, and I hope I can keep
nursing until he's a year old. It's crossed my mind to start taking one
of those drugs like reglan, but I've been paying attention to what's
been said on here about such drugs, and so I'm very hesitant. So I'm
looking into whatever natural supplements I can find to help me keep up
the supply. Maybe nine more months might be a real stretch for me, but
I would probably be really upset if I had to give it up before Gabriel
is six months old at least.

Bernadetta