[blparent] The maid wants to go on strike!

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Jun 6 16:20:03 UTC 2012

That's true, Sheila.  Cleaning a little at a time seems to work better for
all of us because Sarah and I get overwhelmed if the house gets to be too
big of a mess, too, along with my stepson, and then the whole thing turns
into a meltdown.  I agree that doing some cleaning every night works better
than letting stuff pile up.  I suppose I could do better at making that
happen.

My stepson had a cheap Wal-Mart skateboard that broke yesterday, and right
now he's really into learning tricks, which is good because at least he's
out in the fresh air getting exercise instead of sitting in front of the
computer or the TV.  So I told him I would get another skateboard when we
went grocery shopping last night, but that in trade, he owed me five times
of doing what I asked him without sighing or complaining, before he went
home on Saturday.  I know he should be doing that anyway, but you take small
steps, and I want to keep things positive with him when I can.  I also told
him that if he ignored me, or said okay and then didn't do what I asked,
more than twice today, I was going to have his dad put the parental controls
back on the computer so it only worked in the evenings.  He wants to watch
skateboarding videos and play some awful skateboarding game where you make a
guy weave in and out of traffic and jump over cars and buses, so that
strategy to keep him from ignoring me might work.  We'll see.  His favorite
tactic is to say okay, he'll do something, and then not do it to see if I'll
notice.

Jo Elizabeth

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a
song."  Maya Angelou