[blparent] The maid wants to go on strike!

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 21:08:31 UTC 2012

I agree entirely with Bernadetta's post.  You have to have order in the home
but the last thing you need is to become the evil step mother while the
biological parents aren't reinforcing the rules along with you.  To go more
into depth with what I mentioned in my first post, something you might
consider trying is to sit down with your step-son and talk to him about what
he feels would be reasonable and fair to do around the home to help-out the
family and what punishments he also feels would fit the crime so to speak.
You'll have to go back and forth in conversation to agree on things but this
might help him feel a sense of control in the situation and treated like an
adult in a lot of ways which I believe he'll really respect you for.  Speak
to him from your heart and explain why you'd like to see certain things done
and how much it means to you when he does help out.  This young lad is
hurting inside as are all children of broken homes so just try to keep
loving him with all your might while keeping communication lines open and
enforcing rules.  If the you know what hits the fan, simply stop, sit down
and continue having dialog with the boy to let him know how his actions are
effecting the balance of the home.  When he does good make an extra point to
praise him with hugs and positive words and an occasional material treat but
try to avoid rewarding him mostly with material treats because that just
keeps him focusing on himself and what he wants thus negatively effecting
his motives for doing the right thing in the first place. I hope this helps.

Erin