[blparent] Walkie-talkies

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:25:45 UTC 2012

When you take care of someone else's child (on a very irregular basis)
you don't have the opportunity to train them like you would your own
children.
My daughter has a stepson who is five years old. they will allow him
to go to the park without direct supervision. They can walk over and
see what he  is doing, but they feel they don't have to be "right
there." Oh, the "they" is her father, his biological mother and my
daughter.
While I was watching him the other day, I felt the need to be quite
close, especially in a foreign situation. We were at a park that I was
not fully familiar with. Although my step grandson is "Quite
independent" I just did not want to take the chance.
He wouldn't or won't wear a harness or a leash or a locator.
I am wondering if any of you have used powerful walkie talkies to keep
in contact with your children while giving them some freedom.
If so, which have the best range and durability?