[blparent] baby gates

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue May 22 14:47:04 UTC 2012

Hi.  It really depends on what you want to do with the gate.  There are
inexpensive folding gates that are pressure-mounted between two walls.  They
work great for doorways or the bottom of the stairs, and they're fairly easy
to put up and take down.  You might end up stepping over them a lot because
it's quicker than taking them on and off.  Also, pressure mount gates are
not recommended for the top of the stairs because if a baby leans on the
gate, it could come loose and gate and baby will go head over heels down the
stairs.  It's recommended that you get the swing type gate, that opens like
a door and is hardware mounted to the wall, at the top of the stairs.  I had
a wide doorway between my kitchen and dining room to block off, so I bought
an aluminum gate with mesh between the two horizontal poles.  It worked for
the wide doorway, but it was difficult to mount and take down, so it stayed
up all the time.  So there's a crash course--we've been beyond baby gates
now for a while, so I might have forgotten something.