[blparent] children and trust

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat May 26 21:27:35 UTC 2012

Hi, Shannan.  I totally agree that parents have to be trusted, that they'll
be fair in dealing witn their own kids and also other kids that are
involved.  When Gerald and I took Sarah to my grandma's ninetieth birthday
party, my niece, who is a few years older than Sarah, had it in her head
that Sarah didn't know how to share.  The way she parroted the remarks about
Sarah never being around other kids and never learning to share, I could
tell she'd heard grown-ups talking about it.  That was because my mom and
sister had very different ideas about preschool than I did.  My sister got
her kids in activities when they were barely two, which was fine because it
was her choice, but I chose to keep Sarah at home till she was nearly four.
So anyway, my niece would put a toy down in front of Sarah, watch her pick
it up, and then yell because Sarah wasn't sharing.  She did that several
times, and I averted the situation and redirected Sarah to another activity.
But you're right, if you weren't watching closely, it would have looked like
Sarah wasn't sharing.  So the parents have to be fair or their kids won't
learn to be.  Some of the angelic little girls out there really instigate
quite a lot of trouble and then stand back innocently and watch the action.