[blparent] blparent resorce list leashes

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue May 29 23:21:09 UTC 2012

Awesome post, Shannan.  Eat the fish and spit out the bones.  I really like
that philosophy, and it works well for this list.  Take what helps you, toss
out the rest.

The other reason I think you wrote a great post is that there are a lot of
"I will never" statements we all make before we have kids.  But never is a
big word, and we've all broken those statements, eaten crow, or sometimes
just changed our minds.

I will never use the TV as a baby-sitter.  Okay, I don't make a habit of it,
but there have been times I was busy putting away groceries or fixing
dinner, or I was just flat worn out, and I popped in a video I knew would
get my daughter occupied so I could do what I had to do.

I will never resort to bribery or use food as a reward.  Okay, again, I
don't make a habit of it.  But when I was shopping for Sarah's birthday
party, and everybody else in the free world happened to be at the King
Sooper's store where I ordered the cake, and I was stuck in line behind some
chick who must have been buying for a family of seventeen--seriously, she
had two shopping carts loaded to the gills--I took a bag of M&M's from the
cash register display, tore off the part with the bar code so I could pay
for them, and gave them to Sarah so she wouldn't keep yelling that she
wanted out of the cart.  There are certain occasions when bribery is a
perfectly acceptable form of negotiation.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a lighthearted way, is, keep an open
mind.  The leash, or tether, or harness, or whatever else you want to call
it, is one trick in your bag.  You may think you'll never use it, but it
doesn't hurt to realize the option is available if circumstances change, or
if your child gets older and more mobile and you change your mind.  And when
you see other parents using it, give them the benefit of the doubt.  They're
not cruel.  They're not treating their children like animals.  They're good
parents like you who are doing the best they can to keep their children safe
and raise them well.

Jo Elizabeth

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a
song."  Maya Angelou