[blparent] how to handle a baby while you multi task

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Wed Nov 14 18:41:15 UTC 2012

Hina,

Do you have a baby carrier that will let you carry the baby on you? If not,
you may want to use an old sheet to cut into strips and tie the baby on
while you work. It is not as convenient as the carriers, but will keep your
little one on you and not into things. You can usually pick up sheets at
thrift stores for a couple of dollars. You could also use the strips to
fashion a harness and leash if your little one is mobile and wants to move
around you while you work. This is not a pretty solution, but babies used to
sleep in empty dresser drawers and laundry baskets too. Do what you have to
do.

Sleep is really important for you too. Even if it means leaving some things
undone, you will function better in the long run with a good nights sleep. I
have parented with a husband who was mostly absent and whose priorities were
different than mine. I do understand how that changes the way you have to do
things.

I think we can give you more specific suggestions if you tell us how old
your little guy is and what kind of baby equipment you have. For example,
leaving the baby in the car seat carrier will be more fun for him if you
move it from room to room with you. You might also try putting it up on the
counter or kitchen table so he can be on the same level with you. I could
sometimes get a little more time by using my foot to rock the seat gently.
Fresh air can be nice too if you have a place you can open the window, or
sometimes just getting to look outside will make a good distraction.

Freedom of movement and floor time are good for a child's development,
however, you have to make sure everyone's needs are being met. My youngest
spent a lot of time in swings and other baby containment options. His
hearing aids were obstructed by the infant carriers and with two other boys
I had to worry about little toys and rough housing in addition to the usual
household hazards. He still developed right on time.

Jennifer