[blparent] feeding solids

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Oct 9 17:59:23 UTC 2012

Hi, Bernadetta.  Feeding solids was a really big frustration in my house.
I'll pass along a few tips, but the biggest one to remember is that Gabriel
is still getting the vast majority of his nutritional needs met by either
breastmilk or formula.  That won't change till he's a year old, so the main
thing about solids right now is to get him used to different tastes and
textures.  Keep that in mind when you feel like you're cleaning off more of
the food from his bib, face, and high chair than he got in his mouth.

For now, I'm guessing you're doing rice cereal and maybe pureed fruits and
veggies.  What I found that helped immensely once my daughter was used to
taking solid foods in her mouth and swallowing them was to mix a dab of rice
cereal into the puree to thicken it up slightly, just till a bite would stay
on the spoon instead of running off.  After that, it didn't take long till
she was turning her face toward the spoon because there was always food on
it, instead of turning away because as often as not, the bite had slid back
into the bowl.

Remember that babies also might get preferences pretty early on.  My
daughter only ate rice cereal because it was mixed in with other foods.  She
wanted nothing to do with it by itself, and after tasting it, I had a pretty
good idea why.  We tried barley infant cereal, which had a bit more flavor,
and she tolerated that better.  She would have nothing to do with the pureed
meats, or any meat for a very long time.  So we gave her a lot of cottage
cheese or cheese cubes when she started feeding herself, and mixed a dab of
rice cereal in with her yogurt to thicken it up so it would stay on the
spoon.

Speaking of spoons, there's one on the market called the Boon Spoon, or
something close to that.  I didn't know about it till after my daughter was
too old for it, but many parents swear by it for the early feeding of
solids.  It has a bulb on one end where you insert the food, and a spoon on
the other.  When you get the spoon in the baby's mouth, you gently squeeze
out some food.  Gabriel will soon get too old for the spoon, since he'll be
eating thicker solids, but keep it in mind if there's a next time.

Also, could you get some of those Gerber puffs so Gabriel can feed himself
between bites?  Just put four or five of them on the high chair or table in
front of him.  They melt instantly in the mouth, so they shouldn't interfere
with your feeding, but they'll give him the chance to participate.  He may
just be an independent soul who doesn't want to be held and fed with his
arms secured.  *Smile.*  Good luck, and as frustrating as it is, know that
very soon, it will be a distant memory and you'll go on with the next
challenge.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.