[blparent] Please help me snap out of my pity-party

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:07:47 UTC 2012

Hey Jen,

Don't worry.  We all go through a bit of feeling like this from
time-to-time.  Any-time I talk with my many sighted friends about this kind
of thing I realize that they're going through the same things we are and
it's more an issue of being a little over-tired than it is anything else.
Don't sweat the small stuff is the motto I'm trying to live by as a mother
of a 2 year old because after all it's only water or dirt they're playing in
and we can experience so many awesome things with our kids.  As for the DVDs
or shows on TV just engage with your daughter about what's going on.  Most
shows we can tell what's going on and even when I can't tell what's going on
I'll ask my son and he often times tells me enough in his toddler chat to
tell me what he's seeing.  It's a really cool opportunity to show your child
that they can help you by describing things and they love that.  I also tell
my son how thankful I am for his helping mommy and I don't have to see his
face to know that he's beaming from ear to ear for that.  I don't know if
you get a chance to hang-out with many other moms who are sighted but 99% of
my friends are sighted and it's absolutely amazing to see how they miss
stuff their kids are doing as much as we do if not more sometimes because
they're visually distracted with something.  I can't tell you how many times
I'll hear something going on or about to happen before they see it
happening.  Even when "life" happens I figure that if no one is bleeding,
broken and the house isn't on fire then we're having a great day.

Hope this helps and whenever you're feeling overwhelmed just remember that
someday they'll be teenagers and then there will be real problems to worry
about! LOL

Erin