[blparent] model state custody bill

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Sep 8 03:26:10 UTC 2012

I skimmed through the bill, and the word "solely" is used quite often.
Child Services cannot deny blind people rights in guardianship, custody,
adoption, or visitation solely because they are blind.  If it can be proven
that there are other issues, it sounds as if Child Services will still be
free to act.  Of course, there may be some blind people who will try to use
the bill as an excuse for why they have been victimized, or a reason to
complain, just as there are bound to be social workers who will invent
reasons besides blindness to proceed because of their own misconceptions of
what blind parents might or might not be capable of.  But as it is written,
it sounds like the bill is quite specific about only prohibiting
discrimination against blind parents for no other reason than their
blindness.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould