[blparent] Writers

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 05:08:51 UTC 2012

I wrote a lot growing up. I wrote a lot of fiction especially fantasy
along with journaling. I stopped in my early twenties for a time, but
when I went back to university in 2007, I decided upon creative writing
for my major. I hadn't written in years, and quite frankly, had never
considered it as a major or career choice. As it turns out, I'm not half
bad at it. I've had a few pieces published here and there, and I write a
blog for the Omaha Worl Herald. I still write fiction, but my emphasis
in school was creative nonfiction, wich is a fancy way to say
memoir-type writing. I have not enjoyed my blog in a while since my new
editor wants me to change my voice and style of writing, but for now,
it's still a paycheck. I have several full-length manuscripts I have
been working on- both nonfiction and fiction. I ope to one day finish at
least one, grin.

My original focus in university back in 2000 was vocal performance. I
had always intended on attempting a career in music. For various
reasons, I lost my voice, metaphorically, at age 22 and haven't been
able to find it until Declan's birth. I have found myself full of music
once again in the past four weeks since his birth. I guess I found a
reason to sing again, smile.

I, too, had a less than stellar childhood. I have found writing to be
cathartic just as I did as a child. I don't like to talk about it, but I
worried about my ability to parent since I didn't have great examples
growing up, but so far, I have taken naturally to being a mommy. It
helps that I have an amazing, supportive husband who loves me very much.

It's not weird at all that you need to finish your novel regardless of
if it's ever published or not. Our creative natures need to be released
at times despite the lack of audience. We shouldn't stifle our creative
voices or ignore them. So never give up on your dreams and goals.
Sometimes we just have to push ourselves to do things. Not doing them is
what makes us stagnet. Words are tools, and words therefore can provide
an outlet for emotions and thoughts. Novels and books are made up of
words, individual words. This is what I love about writing; bringing
words together to evoke an audience, create a universe, to share a
story.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: