[blparent] Cloth diapers

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:18:09 UTC 2012

The financial aspect was certainly a factor when deciding to use cloth
diapers for us, but I also am trying to take steps to cut down on the
toxins we surround ourselves with everyday. Going organic can be pricey,
but by incorporating things into daily life, it can be manageable.

We have switched to cleaning products void of harsh chemicals. We really
like the Seventh Generation products for cleaning. So many cleaners have
extremely harsh properties that may clean well but are really bad for
humans. A lot of these chemicals currently have no standards or limits.
Seventh Generation cleaners I have found work really well without
exposing myself and my family to harsh chemicals.

We're waiting to bring Declan home so we can try out both cloth diapers
and organic disposable diapers. There are several websites to find out
more info about this like Earth's Best.

We also try to buy certain food items organic like produce and meat when
we can. I plan on making my own baby food, so organic is important to
me. I've already asked for a better food processor for Christmas, grin.
We also have cut down on foods loaded with preservatives and synthetic
properties. Even food advertised as healthy can be full of bad
properties like this, so it's important to review the actual ingredients
in the food you buy.

Really, anything our kids come into contact with we try to buy organic.
Clothes, food, bath products, toys. It can take a lot of research, but
we feel it's worth it. There's a lot of unconducted studies that
potentially could show a correlation between the various compounds we
expose our children too and the rising rate in things like allergies,
behavioral disorders and even autism. I'm not one of those crazy,
paranoid parents, but it certainly can't hurt to lessen the toxins we
allow in our environment.

I'm not trying to be controversial or even start a thread on organic
living, but I wanted to explain our decision to use cloth diapers.

My husband has a ton of skin allergies he developed in his late
twenties, so we've already been on the hunt for products that are
organic or at least void of harsh chemicals. We now want to use better
products for our kids. Aubrey's and Burt's Bees have some great stuff.
Even among organic products, there are only so many considered safe for
Ross, so we have to double check a safe list for him. Hopefully our kids
won't develop these allergies as it's been a pain in the butt for Ross.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan