[blparent] Intro

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Feb 21 16:43:48 UTC 2013

In my experience, it's just a day care thing--having to pay even if your
child does not go. Yes, it is inconvenient, but it makes sense. Basically,
you are paying, when your child does not attend, for his or her spot to
remain open when he or she is ready to come back to day care. If you don't
pay, then that spot could, and probably would, be offered to someone else
who will pay. A lot of day cares have waiting lists, so it's purely a
financial thing for them. They need the income to stay open. They are
counting on the income, and if you don't pay, then they will assume you are
not coming back and give the spot away to someone who will pay. I agree,
this is a pain, especially when you have a sick child and would love to have
that money in your pocket, but, again, the day care is counting on that
money, and without it, their employees won't be paid, or perhaps they won't
be able to pay other bills or buy supplies.
	Some day cares will give you a week of unpaid "vacation" with your
child. At least, the in home day care we use offers us this service. But, we
definitely have to give them notice a month in advance. The two women who
run the day care we use are single moms, so they need to know when we will
be gone so they can factor the loss of income into their budget. I'm not
sure if day care centers offer this purk. This probably varies from center
to center.
Melissa