[blparent] How do you all handle the issue of your kids not telling the truth?

Brandy W., with Discovery Toys ballstobooks at gmail.com
Fri May 31 22:17:18 UTC 2013

You hit the nail on the head! You have to check to the point of being annoying so they figure out that you will find out and that telling the truth is easier. I also recommend you make the punishment fit the crime as best you can and make it unpleasant enough that she doesn't want to lie again. So Guess you won't be going out for a few days since you lied, and did something you know is wrong to begin with. I've had to go as far as making a kid stay right with me so if I'm washing dishes guess you are sitting at my feet board because I can't trust you to do things without me there. Usually a day or 2 of this has an effect on a kid her age pretty quickly. Also when you have to discipline point out what the punishment would have been if they had told the truth and what it will be because they lied. For example a friends little boy threw a toy across the room and it really cracked his sister in the head. She had a giant goose egg, but he tried to say he was standing by her and tried to drop it in her lap. If he had told the trooth all he would have had to do was listen to the lecture about not throwing toys and prob put those toys away, but instead he ended up sitting on my floor for the last hour they were here, and I'm quite sure he got spanked when he got home. A few of such lies, and he is starting to think about the consequences of his words. I also try very hard to pay attention to how things sound, so if I didn't hear the normal sounds of shoes going on, and the sounds of the kid walking across the floor with shoes I'd ask again if the shoes were on.

Lying is a tough one!

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys ?Educational Consultant
www.playtoachieve.com