[blparent] Using your other senses to catch kids lying

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Mar 23 06:12:45 UTC 2015

I'm going to be as diplomatic about this as I can, but let me start out by
saying that we're all on the same team here.  We're blind parents trying to
raise our kids the best we know how, so please don't take anything I say as
adversarial because I'm not trying to pick on you.  I'm just trying to help
you look at all of this in a different way you might not have thought of
yet.  It's true that without your vision, you are in some ways at a
disadvantage because you will have to rely on your other senses.  But you
still have your ability to reason and think, and you still have your ability
to appeal to your daughter's logic and her conscience.  That's what really
matters here.  Skip the lower level "I'm the dad and you're busted" stuff.

I'm not sure I would have convicted my daughter of lying, so to speak, based
on the possible smell of candy on her breath, and the possible candy bag out
of position on your desk, especially when you weren't sure of either, and
one accusation was made by a girlfriend who presumably doesn't have
authority over the child.  That can be touchy a year after a divorce, but
that's a whole different can of worms.  If the main thing is blocking her
access to treats, don't leave the candy on your desk.  Don't have junk in
the house.  She can't sneak what she can't find.

Especially if the girl was very insistant that she didn't take the candy, to
the point of tears, I would personally have let the argument drop and chosen
another angle.  No one wins a tug-of-war like that; it's unwinnable.  My
daughter is seven, and she has tried her hand at stretching the truth and
sneaking candy a few times.  Even when I've definitely smelled candy on her
breath and heard the rustling of wrappers in the Halloween bucket, I haven't
come out and made a direct accusation because I've wanted to see if I could
get her to confess on her own.  I've talked to her about how we are a team
and we need to work together, how I need to believe what she tells me and
trust that what she says is always true.  If I can't trust that what she
says is true, then we can't go places together because we don't work well as
a team.  Natural consequences.  If I can't trust her to tell the truth, then
I can't send her to play with her friends because she might make up stories
at their houses.  One of her friends has a mom who is very strict about
that, and getting sent home from there a few times did a lot to further the
cause of truth-telling.  The flip side of that is, if she tells me the
truth, we can go places together, and she can go play with her friends.
She's gotten to where she rats herself out if she slips up and sneaks candy
or does something else she shouldn't, even when I wouldn't know it.  We're
building a relationship now that I hope will carry us through the difficult
years ahead, a trusting kind of relationship where it won't matter if I
can't literally keep an eye on her every minute.

So anyway, find ways to build trust with your daughter.  Instead of
concentrating on catching her red-handed, focus on opportunities to
strengthen your relationship with her.  Are there activities or hobbies you
can do together?  Are there chores she does, and do you let her know you
appreciate it when she does them well and on time?  Do you take an active
interest in her school projects, dance activities, and whatever else she has
going on?  How often do you have meaningful conversations with her?  Have
you talked about what trust means to both of you, and listened also?  I'm
not saying you haven't done these things, but it might be time for a
revisit.  Sometimes as parents, and especially blind parents, I think we get
so caught up in thinking we have to be right on the ball, nipping this or
that in the bud, and we get so busy trying to be perfect, we forget the big
picture.  In the end, whether your kid sneaked an Easter candy or not isn't
going to matter that much one way or another.  What will matter is that she
grew up to be a good, ethical, honest woman who had a strong, open
relationship with a dad who cared about her very much.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.