[blparent] {Spam?} babies sleeping.

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Aug 20 19:10:55 UTC 2016

My daughter is eight now.  I was told to place her on her back in an empty
crib.  No pillow, no soft toys.  When she was small, I was instructed to use
a swaddling blanket or a wearable blanket, which was also called a sleep
sacque, to keep her warm.  The sleep sacque was basically a set of warm
pajamas, except that instead of tight legs, the bottom half of the pajamas
were open so the baby could kick her feet, sort of like she was in a
sleeping bag.  She liked the sleep sacque better than the footed pajamas
because it was summer when she was tiny, and the pajamas were too close and
hot for her.  The hospital nurses told me statistics bore out the fact that
the incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) had dropped very
significantly since babies were placed on their backs to sleep with no
pillows, blankets, and other soft items in their cribs that they could
smother on.  But the decrease in maternal smoking had also contributed to
the decline in the loss of lives to SIDS.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my award-winning novel,
available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats at Amazon.com.